Founded in 1908, Flintco now employs more than 800 people in 8 cities serving clients in healthcare, education, hospitality, sports and industrial. Flintco also self-performs concrete, steel erection and excavation. Nothing matters more to us than the quality and growth of our people. Our teams are smart, humble, and disciplined. Flintco is recognized for its commitment to safety and quality, using Lean principles as a guide to continuous improvement. The five guiding principles of our Ethos are: Safety, Integrity, Quality, Accountability and Honesty. We live it every day.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
All duties and responsibilities include the following; however, other duties may be assigned. To perform in this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Preconstruction Manager is responsible for estimating and budgeting conceptual and lump sum bid projects and performing overall Pre-construction Services in cooperation with corporate goals and the local marketing and business plans.
- Perform Pre-Construction Services, providing estimates, project schedules, constructability reviews. Value Analysis Workshop, cost models, etc.
- Prepare and tabulate unit quantity survey and price based on historic cost data and vendor cost quotations. Estimate direct overhead, permits, bonds, taxes, etc. Assist in the preparation of studies, materials and methods, recommendations, and relative cost estimates as required.
- Solicit subcontractor and vendor quotations, evaluate their scope and appraise any deficiencies (i.e., exclusions, incomplete scopes, etc.) as compared with like quotations and estimate requirements. Confer with subcontractors/suppliers as to their evaluation of vague and/or conflicting issues. Verbally and formally request and document by confirming facsimile and/or email and/or letter all needed clarifications.
- Act as Bid Captain and/or Estimator on complex packages or as workload demands. Assign work to bid team, direct and review their assignments and ensure accuracy and completeness of estimates prepared by bid team. Participate in pre-bid meetings, site visits, bid strategy, presentation meetings as required.
- Cultivate relationships with Owner’s, Architects, Engineering Firms, Consultants, and Subcontractors. Attend owners’ meetings, assisting clients and designers in systems selections, budgeting, cost containment, etc.
- Provide advice, liaison, planning to prospective and current clients. Coordinate Value Analysis workshops on appropriate projects.
- Assist in development of major proposals, presentations, and brochure materials. Review proposal specifications, drawings, attend meetings with A/E, owners to determine the scope of work and required contents of conceptual estimate. Provide conceptual and final estimating and scheduling input on assigned projects. Ensure all working documents and data are maintained to back-up conceptual estimate figures
- Review and assist in preparation and culmination of project estimates and bids.
- Provides total commitment to continuous process improvement.
- Models and reinforces safety as a top priority of the organization.
- Meets schedules and deadlines, adheres to policies and procedures and maintains a good attendance/tardiness record.
- Ensures client satisfaction, both internally and externally, through efficient handling of issues.
- Exercises good interpersonal skills by gladly assisting others to accomplish work of the organization, even if it is outside the scope of regular duties.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Ability to represent to all persons the Flintco Ethos that encourages the highest level of performance, integrity, and morale. Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents including plans and specifications, proposals, quotes, and qualifications. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Defines problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draws valid conclusions. Adds, subtracts, multiplies and divides whole numbers, fractions and decimals. Ability to write and interpret technical documents such as management plans, proposals, and complex estimates. Organizes and manages time, duties and activities effectively. Knowledge of estimating, construction costs, scheduling, purchasing, and engineering principles and techniques, various construction methods and installation procedures; and a general understanding of the operation of various building systems. Strong computer skills and a familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite of programs, On-screen Take-off, Timberline, and MC2.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or similar or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience in commercial construction in estimating and preconstruction functions in job sizes from $20M to $200M or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Your application has been successfully submitted.