Lean Innovation Manager
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Lean Innovation Manager to support the Operating Group to outline and implement its Lean Innovation agenda. You will also support individual project teams to define and execute Project Standard Work through the application of Lean Innovation methods and capabilities Strong communication skills are necessary as you will be interacting with staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain flexible, inventive, dedicated, and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality is vital to your success in this role.
What will you be doing?
- Support the development of the business plan section detailing the highly specific agenda for improving its work through Lean Innovation
- Work effectively with Construction Executives, Field Operations Managers, Project Managers, Project Superintendents and other Project staff to develop ‘Project Standard Work’ and to support the project team in adhering to that Project Standard Work
- For each improvement within that agenda, team with the Operating Group to develop a detailed and measurable plan for executing and sustaining that improvement
- The Operating Group will be successful in executing those plans and in building improvements into their standard work, in part due to the effective facilitation, follow-up, and support by the Lean Innovation Manager
- Facilitate and inspire the Operating Group’s contribution to Mortenson’s Best Practices Database, the Lean Innovation Playbook, and the Mortenson Innovation Board through the development and sharing of work practices, methods and success stories
- Support the Operating Group in effectively communicating its agenda and plans, progress, outcomes and capabilities to inform, engage, inspire and celebrate these improvements
- Facilitate the development of a Lean Project Delivery approach with internal Operating Group / BD leadership, Customer Representatives, and Trade Partners
- Facilitate application of Mortenson’s core Lean Innovation methods to improve self-performed craft work, including supporting Superintendents, Foremen and Craft Workers in the introduction, training and follow-up on use of these methods
- Recognize, document and communicate OG-developed Lean Innovation methods
How will you succeed?
- Minimum of six years’ experience using lean methodologies
- Construction industry experience required
- Experience, coursework or certification in Lean, Six Sigma, Operational Excellence or Supply Chain is a plus
- Ability to effectively interface and facilitate lean concepts with customers, designers, engineers, trade partners and other business partners
- Adaptive, effective communication and active listening skills
- Excellent problem solving and detail oriented innovation skills
- Knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and inclusive behaviors
- Strong cross-cultural relationship building and influencing at all organizational levels
- Proven record of including diverse team members when assigning challenging and high-profile tasks
- Judgment and resource management, including the ability to direct / redirect their own efforts and any additional Lean Innovation resources to the areas of the greatest need
- Leadership through influence and personal relationships (leadership without authority)
- Current driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field; or equivalent experience
- Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.