Senior Project Manager, Design and Construction
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It's a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all-and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet - an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. Join BMC today and help us achieve our Vision 2030 which is a long-term goal to make Boston the healthiest urban population in the world.
Position: Senior Project Manager, Design and Construction
Department: Design & Construction Services
Schedule: Full Time
Under the direction and guidance of the Senior Director Design and Construction the successful applicant will manage in-house and outside resources for the purpose of delivering cost effective project management, design services and construction administration for new facilities, additions and interior renovation projects. Oversees, delegates, and/or out-sources the project responsibilities as required. Acts as liaison between contracted services and the Hospital to ensure that appropriate internal personnel are involved in the decision making related to design, specification and installation and/or construction of projects.
Assists and leads various mid-to-large scale projects in an on-going hospital-wide Inpatient Expansion Program capital construction project using the Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) construction contracting method, which stresses a collaborative alliance of people, systems, business structures and practices into a process that harnesses the talents and insights of all participants. This will optimize project results, increase value to the owner, reduce waste, and maximize efficiency through all phases of design, fabrication, and construction.
Essential Responsibilities / Duties
- Manages the coordination of facilities projects including designers, contractors and customers by monitoring the project through all phases in order to ensure conformity with original design objectives and construction documents.
- Selects and utilizes the participation of consultants with the goal of integrating and maximizing the contributions of participants.
- Identifies problems and develops solutions to determine realistic project scope, budgets and schedules. Determines the appropriateness of premium time work on a case-by-case basis with the goals of minimizing interruption of services to patients and staff, meeting project goals of schedule and budget.
- Evaluates and manages cost control during construction phase through the proper use of budgetary appropriations.
- Maintains records, drawings and files.
- Establishes priority of requests according to organizational objectives. Revises priorities in response to the changing hospital environment.
- Participates with other professionals in the hospital while processing bids and awarding of contracts to consultants such as designers, engineers, and architects, and to vendors and contractors.
- Maintains a safe, clean working environment to eliminate accidents adhering to Facilities Management's policy and procedures and all other hospital safety regulations.
- Ensures conformance with local building codes and specifications.
- Knowledgeable of all pertinent codes, standards, statutes, laws and regulations of the authorities having jurisdiction including City of Boston and Massachusetts Department of Public Health FGI Guideline Standards.
- Seeks new ideas, expands knowledge base, and keeps abreast of changes in the industry with the goal of constantly improving customer service.
Must adhere to all of BMC's RESPECT behavioral standards.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Construction Management or Engineering is preferred but not required.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressively more responsible experience in either healthcare, institutional and/or pharmaceutical planning, design, construction management, project management and/or facilities engineering required.
Knowledge And Skills
- In-depth knowledge of multifaceted clinical projects including planning, resource management, cost management, and quality measurement.
- Effective communication leading to trusted liaison with hospital administration, department leads to achieve on-time and durable decision making as well as clear status reports on specific projects
- Ability to motivate design and construction teams.
- Understanding of managing information technology, clinical engineering and public safety resources in a clinical setting.
- Clear understanding of and ability to manage project deliverables to ensure adherence with established quality standards.
- Assign tasks of assembling project teams, identifying appropriate resources, assigning individual responsibilities, and developing schedules to ensure timely completion of project.
- Lean Healthcare and Lean Construction experience a plus.
- Integrated Project Delivery of Healthcare Projects a plus.
- Have familiarity with local and national healthcare building codes, Department of Public Health approval process and AIA/FGI healthcare guidelines.
- Proficiency in Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint and Project Management Information Systems. CAD or REVIT proficiency is not required.
Your application has been successfully submitted.