Sr./Principal Project Controls Manager (Global Engineering)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Global Engineering executes major CAPEX projects in Roche’s Pharma Division with focus mainly on Pharma Technical Operations (PT). The Principal Project Controls Manager provides discipline focused project controls management, technical leadership in assigned functional areas and accountability for Project Services in the delivery of capital projects and engineering services to support PT, CMO, and Affiliates. This includes projects that are single and multidisciplinary in nature. The Principal Project Controls Manager reports to the Head of Project Services.
Key Project Controls Responsibilities/Tasks
The Principal Project Controls Manager has advanced skills in the following Project Controls focus areas.
- Acts as Project Controls Manager for Project Services with personal responsibility for:
- Applying decision making processes
- Defining roles and responsibilities
- Gaining alignment with key stakeholders, customers and project management team
- Management of project controls resources and project controls elements of Capital Projects including risk, change, cost and schedule management.
- Definition of priorities
- Close coordination across disciplines
- Regular status updates including progress vs plan, risks, mitigations
- Formation and guidance of project controls teams working on essential strategic initiatives to advance PTA Delivery’s strategic objectives.
- Contributes at a strategic level to the management of the portfolio of PTA project in partnership with our Asset Strategy group.
Where required provide substantial contributions to project scope development including:
- Options Analysis
- Project Planning
- Execution strategies
- Management of resources and development of detailed Schedule based on Work Breakdown Structure
- Manages resources and executes deliverables in compliance with the Roche Engineering Manual, Global Standards & Processes and all other Roche Guidelines and Directives
- Expresses relevant information timely, clearly and concisely to relevant stakeholders including adjusting communication style to the audience being addressed
- Partners proactively with key customers, team members and stakeholders, while being open and approachable with a friendly, positive and professional attitude
- Challenges the status-quo and develops creative solutions within the framework of Global Standards & Processes
- Leads proactive measures to achieve the specified goals in the event of deviations from project plans
- Manages project controls and other functional teams including external contractors and gives clear guidance to the team in terms of technical solutions and/or business processes
- Where appropriate maintains ownership of assigned scope within discipline through all project phases so that target functionality, quality and reliability are achieved
- Expertise include project controls in all of the following areas: Benchmarking & Estimating, Scheduling, Cost Control, risk and change management, and Project Financial Accounting.
- Skilled people leader combined with detailed subject matter expertise in project controls.
- Development and maintenance of the Project Controls Plan
- Establish, maintain & reconcile WBS, work packages, control budgets, risk register and the project master schedule with the critical path
- Develop, implement and execute Change Management
- Lead reviews of the Contractors’ Project Controls Systems and ensure Contractors utilize adequate cost & schedule control techniques and tools
- Prepare monthly project reports that include progress measurement and forecast on cost, schedule, risk and safety metrics
- Perform the role of Business Process Manager within the Project Controls
- Act as certified reviewer for discipline reviews for CAPEX Projects
- Is an acknowledged expert within Roche
- Mentor and coach less experienced PCEs/PCMs
- Work is largely self directed, and exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments. Provides guidance and manage work activities of others.
- Knowledge of Lean Construction practices and how they relate to project controls disciplines.
Qualifications: required education / experiences / competencies
Education / Experience
The level of the position will depend on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Quantity Surveying or related discipline with 12 to 15 years of experience preferable in pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical , 10 to 13 years of experience with Masters Degree, 7 to 10 years of experience with PhD
- Preferred Requirements: MS in Engineering, Quantity Surveying, and/or an MBA
- 10 years of experience in management of capital projects
- Able to execute scope that is complex on projects that are mid-sized to large
- Excellent leadership qualities
- Very strong collaboration, teambuilding and communication skills
- Strong business and technical acumen, strategic agility and global perspective necessary to lead the groups to world-class performance
- Global experience and culturally savvy, can adapt to and effectively manage in various cultural environments and organizational levels including executive management
- Experience with Primavera (P6) and various enterprise level project management systems, along with risk and change management systems is essential.
- Embodies Roche Values and Leadership Commitments
- Proficient knowledge of English (written & spoken) a must and other additional languages a plus
- Travel such as assignment requiring weekly commuting or temporary remote assignment may be required to meet business needs
Your application has been successfully submitted.