Lean Construction Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Motivated to grow with a stable organization? SPX Cooling Technologies is a leading global manufacturer of sustainable evaporative cooling systems, servicing commercial HVAC and industrial markets for nearly a century. Hospitals, data centers, oil and gas refineries, power plants and process cooling facilities worldwide rely on SPX Cooling’s Marley, Recold and SGS brands. Beginning as the Marley Company nearly 100 years ago, it was the first cooling tower manufacturer to pioneer cooling solutions for large industrial applications. Since then, we have evolved to provide innovative solutions for iconic buildings and essential infrastructure.
New hires to SPX Cooling enjoy benefits that begin on the first day of work, including professional development opportunities such as mentorship and tuition assistance, a competitive compensation and bonus plan, flexible health plan, 401(k) match, and opportunities for career advancement.
SPX Cooling and its brands are active in more than 80 countries and is rapidly growing organically and through acquisitions, as part of SPX Corporation (SPXC).
With its people-centric culture, SPX prides itself on attracting top talent to the industry. Apply to work for an excellent team and help us keep the world cool!
SPX’s Process Cooling business is a recognized leader in the heavy industrial cooling tower industry. This role will make a significant positive impact across the United States by streamlining processes across the company which will add value to complex projects across nuclear, thermal power refining, refining and the chemical industry.
The primary responsibilities of this position are the development and deployment of standard field construction processes and procedures while incorporating best practices in industrial construction including but not limited to lean construction practices. This is a newly created role with focus on creating a best-in-class continuous improvement program and industrial construction team. This role is seen as a successor to the leader of the Process cooling construction organization.
This position will be accountable for developing a culture of engagement and continuous improvement within both the aimed at improving consistency of construction project outcomes (e.g., including safety, quality, schedule, and budget) and construction productivity through the elimination of waste, reduction of variation, and optimizing our business value delivery process. This will be accomplished through the engagement of construction managers and superintendents at the project sites and utilizing best practice construction practices including lean methodologies.
The purpose of this position is to the lead field construction continuous improvement program with the objective of maximizing productivity, minimizing cost and reducing lead time throughout the entire value delivery cycle. The incumbent will be responsible for managing a variety of improvement initiatives across the field construction team while assuming a level of ‘personal accountability’ for the outcomes. Key responsibilities include leading continuous improvement program, developing continuous improvement initiative charters, and executing the plans, as well as tracking and reporting progress. This position will also develop and lead training in construction best practices including but not limited to Lean construction methodologies. Key criteria include technical skills, sound industrial engineering and business judgment, strong communication skills and a proven ability to successfully leading continuous improvement programs for field construction. This position will require prior experience in construction management and solid evaluation skills, creativity and originality in identifying and executing improvements to field construction processes.
- Define and implement a continuous improvement program to drive significant improvement in performance of the field construction team.
- Develop and deploy standard work processes and construction best practices including lean construction methodologies
- Improve construction and transactional procedures, develop new processes/work standards, create process documentation as well as perform capacity, efficiency, job site layout, and installation analysis (time studies, works prep, and material planning)
- Define and implement best practices including standard leader work, standardize processes, implement best practices in construction, implement and run effective tool box meetings, visual display/daily boards, modularization, pre-kitting approaches to construction and advanced tools
- Prepare and provide training to the construction organizations on construction best practices including but not limited to Lean Construction Methodologies.
- Collaborate with other leaders in the business to drive continuous improvement initiatives across the business
- Document lessons learned and share best practices with other Continuous Improvement stakeholders
- Perform project site training and best practice audits to develop and reinforce a continuous improvement culture in the construction organization
- Identify key individuals for team membership and secure their availability
- Prepare detailed plans to track project performance and assure timely completion and achievement of safety, quality, schedule and savings goal
- Report on project progress to appropriate leadership levels on a regular basis
- Meet objectives set forth per individual project charter thereby improving business profitability and project execution
- Annual Revenue and Profitability Results
- Improved delivery to schedule and reduction of field construction costs through waste elimination and variation Reduction Activities (Standard Work Definition)
- Reduction in Field Construction Rework
- Development of continuous improvement culture and building of lean capabilities in the organization
- Increase in Employee Engagement
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Construction Management
- 5+ years of continuous improvement experience and program leadership
- 5+ years of Field Construction experience
- Cross-Functional leadership experience a plus
Other Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated track record of driving standardization and continuous improvement program in industrial construction
- Advanced knowledge of construction best practice and the ability to mentor at all levels to impart knowledge and develop a self-sustaining, continuous improvement culture
- Knowledge of construction productivity, scheduling and field tracking systems
- Lean certification or equivalent training
- High energy with strong sense of urgency
- Change Agent
- Ability to exercise influence without authority
- Objective, open-minded, "out-of-the-box" thinker
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication skills at all levels of the organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Projects, Access, Excel, Power Point and Word
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lifting up to 45 pounds and bending
- Ability to read effectively from a computer screen and/or a paper copy
- Ability to handle a large volume of work and perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively verbally communicate
- Travel required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment with varying degrees of noise levels
- This role will need to function in the field construction environment and office
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically up to 50%
- May occasionally work in job trailer with varying degrees of noise levels
- Occasionally works outdoors; may be exposed to inclement weather, excessive heat, and/or excessive noise
- Sometimes required to work at moderate to extreme heights
Headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas, SPX Cooling Technologies, Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of cooling towers, evaporative fluid coolers, evaporative condensers and air cooled heat exchangers providing full-service cooling solutions and support to customers in the power generation, petrochemical, industrial, refrigeration, and heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) markets for more than 100 years. SPX Cooling Technologies and its Marley and Recold product brands are part of SPX Corporation.
SPX is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, or any other reason prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for your interest in our company.
Your application has been successfully submitted.